Requests and messages

The text here will also show up on the front page. Use this to make a request (replacing the old message board) or to send a message to the DJ. Note that the current DJ might not always be watching for requests.

Re: Requests and messages

Postby jd100 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Foreigner? is that prog
jd100

Postby Rick and Roll » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:08 am

Probably not to a lot of people. But personally I think you can include them, and there are so many others...Gary Numan, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin...where do you draw the line? I'd love to play anything, even tired old radio cuts. The "What is prog" will never be answered. We can only hope there's enough on here to keep you interested.
Rick and Roll

Postby Twirlip » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:23 pm

I bet no-one has heard of a band named Wellington who had an electric violinist and played the UK college circuit in the early 1970s. I saw them several times, and used my cassette recorder to make a Wellington bootleg (groan). They were very good, but I don't think they ever got a record deal.
Twirlip

Postby Rick and Roll » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:04 pm

I'm not making that bet...I haven't!
Rick and Roll

Postby Twirlip » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 pm

I can still recall the violin part of one of their songs, but I no longer have a cassette player on which I can play it. (Terrible recording quality, anyway!)
Twirlip

Postby Twirlip » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:56 pm

(Re: Live on Stage.) Pendragon were a "supergroup"? Really?
Twirlip

Postby Rick and Roll » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:05 am

Joe developed "Superstars" to play Rush/ELP/Floyd/Yes/Genesis/Tull each week, and to highlight a particular band. Personally I feel ELP doesn't have a lot of output in comparison, and one could argue bands like Camel,etc belong up there. But the idea is to spotlight a band not in that group. King's X, Greenslade, etc are some of the bands that have been highlighted. So sure, they may not be "Supergroups" in everyone's definition, but they fit in the idea here. Pendragon's played many festivals and has been together almost 40 years. And "Groups that aren't quite in the Superstars that the other six are but deserve recognition" is a bit unwieldy for a show title ;)
Rick and Roll

Postby Twirlip » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:39 pm

You may call me pedantic (and indeed I am!), but I've always taken the term "supergroup" to mean what it means here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... upergroups. That is, "music groups whose members are already successful as solo artists or as part of other groups or well known in other musical professions": Cream, CSN(Y), Led Zep, Blind Faith, Humble Pie, ELP, and Bad Company being some well-known early examples, and Transatlantic, Them Crooked Vultures, Black Country Communion, and The Good The Bad & The Queen being some well-known recent examples, all of them included in that (very long!) list. (I'd have thought The Raconteurs and The Tangent would be on the list, too, but what do I know?)
Twirlip

Postby jmmallon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Re: supergroup - I confused Pendragon with Arena.
Joe Mallon
Shadow & Light
jmmallon
Site Admin

Postby Rick and Roll » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Sorry about that , my comment was about Superstars of Prog,where you meant a comment from Live on Stage. My reading comprehension will never be confused with "Super"...carry on!
Rick and Roll

Postby Twirlip » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Arena - OK, I'll give you that one! My pedantry is satisfied. :)
Twirlip

Postby Twirlip » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Tangerine Dream's "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares" is still one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. (This is in spite of the fact that I'm not usually much of a fan of electronic music.)
Twirlip

Postby Twirlip » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:11 pm

Talking of John Glascock: any chance of playing some Carmen some time? Perhaps the title track of Fandangos in Space? He's on great form there! Pretty please?
Twirlip

Postby Rick and Roll » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:22 pm

We don't seem to have that in the library...have to check that out...
Rick and Roll

Postby Twirlip » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:30 pm

If you haven't heard it, you've got a very nice surprise coming! It's completely daft, but it's completely brilliant, too.
Twirlip

PreviousNext

Return to Requests/Messages